The 2020 round of HASANZ Scholarships is now open for applications. You can access application forms by clicking on the relevant orange box to the right. Applications close on 14 September 2020.
HASANZ welcomes applications from people already working in health and safety or those who want to move into a career in health and safety. Successful applicants typically receive up to $10,000 over two years to put towards tertiary study in health and safety. They also receive mentoring and practical experience, including field day and networking opportunities with industry representatives.
Applications close on 14 September 2020 and successful applicants will be advised in November 2020. The names of the recipients will be announced in early December.
There are five categories of scholarship.
- General: for practitioners and health and safety representatives who want to upskill to a diploma or degree.
- Poutama: for Māori health and safety practitioners who want to take their skills to the next level.
- Postgraduate: for people wanting to specialise in health and safety by undertaking a postgraduate qualification at a university.
- Occupational hygiene: for people wanting to become an occupational hygienist or to do further training in this field (funded by WorkSafe).
- Applied research: for people undertaking a Master’s by thesis or PhD research in a health and safety-related topic (funded by ACC).
We welcome Applied Research Scholarship applications from health and safety professionals who are seeking to conduct applied research, as part of their professional development. The findings from the research can then be utilised by NZ workplaces and businesses, to inform their injury prevention activities and plans. Research proposals should focus on sectors and/or risks where there are high rates of workplace injuries. It is highly recommended that you consider this list of preferred research themes before applying for this scholarship.
Here is a list of tertiary courses offered in workplace health and safety in New Zealand and Australia. Please note that to be eligible for a scholarship you need to apply for a course that is the equivalent of NZQA Level 6 or higher.
Before applying for a HASANZ Scholarship we recommend that you read the FAQs and Terms and Conditions of the Scholarships.
HASANZ Scholarships include:
- A financial contribution of $5000* each year for up to two years.
- Practical learning and the ability to work on real life issues.
- Mentoring by an industry professional.
*Scholarship value may vary at HASANZ's discretion.